I am a girl who LOVES to read! Lucky for me, I'm a fast reader and can devour a book in hours. This blog is to help me keep track of the books I've read, with comments on the noteworthy. Maybe you'll find a book worth reading.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Litigators

by John Grisham

I've read a lot of Grisham's books and lately they've left me flat.  Too much violence and evil corporations.  I found The Litigators to be a great read.  The book is told in a very dry humerous way.  I'd be reading along and chuckling but when one of the kids asked what I was laughing about, they wouldn't be able to pick up on the humor.

The book is about three lawyers.  Two are the classic ambulance chaser bottom feeding lawyers who are shameless in finding a case.  They've been partners for years, with a law practice that just barely pays the bills.  The other lawyer is a Harvard golden boy who is running away from his huge firm that he feels is sucking his soul out.  He joins the older lawyers and soon is living an entire different kind of law, where lawyers visit funeral homes to pick up clients and chase down car wrecks to sign people up at the accident scene. 

They end up being part of a class action lawsuit and soon find themselves trying a case in federal court.

Grisham uses this book to share a lot of opinions about the legal system, especially class action lawsuits, the obesity epidemic in America, and the way a lawsuit can bankrupt an honest company.

No comments:

Post a Comment