I am a girl who LOVES to read! Lucky for me, I'm a fast reader and can devour a book in hours. This blog is to help me keep track of the books I've read, with comments on the noteworthy. Maybe you'll find a book worth reading.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas

count Pictures, Images and Photos


Of all the books I've read in book club (and having been in one for over 10 years, that's a lot of books!), I think this is my favorite find.  It's such a big book, I was put off by its size.  I had watched the movie in my high school french class but was never tempted to attempt the novel until is was our summer read in book club.  I also don't enjoy other classic authors from the same time period like Charles Dickens .  At its heart, it is a story of revenge and redemption.  Edmond Dantes is wrongfully imprisioned for many years before he escapes with the knowledge of where a large treasure is hidden.  He uses his new found wealth to establish himself as "The Counte of Monte Cristo" and sets out to seek revenge against his enemies.  Although he is consumed by his desire for revenge, he is also moved to correct many wrongs he encounters with his wealth.
The writing in this book is wonderful and I was totally pulled in to the story.  There are lots of characters in the story and sometimes you wonder why they are included, only to have them resurface later with new importance.

Don't be put off by the heft of the book.  If you are like me, you will want it never to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment