I am a girl who LOVES to read! Lucky for me, I'm a fast reader and can devour a book in hours. This blog is to help me keep track of the books I've read, with comments on the noteworthy. Maybe you'll find a book worth reading.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lorna Doone- R.D. Blackmore

Amelia Warner 1 Pictures, Images and Photos


I was first exposed to this terribly romantic story as an A&E movie.  Hoping to immerse myself in it for longer, I checked out the book from the library.  I was not disappointed.  The book includes many details that the movie just can't touch.  You learn a lot more about the minor characters and I find the ending much more satisfying.  That being said, the first part of the book was a slog for me to get through.  There was some history of England that I just wasn't interested in, but once the story started, I didn't want it to end.

A short overview.  John Ridd is the son of a farmer who lives in the same area of Exmoor, England as the villanous Doone family.  The Doones are known to ride through the land, pillaging and murdering anyone who stands in their way.  John has good reason to hate the Doones because they murder his father.  As a young boy, he accidentally ends up in the valley of the Doones and there meets an enchanting young girl.  After many years, he falls in love with her against his better judgement.  But, Lorna is not who he believes.  Instead of being a Doone, she is actually an heiress who was kidnapped by the Doones as a very small child to give them respectability when she grows up and marries a Doone.  It is up to John Ridd to save her and quite an adventure they both have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment